Monday, December 29, 2008

My Top 5 Films of 2008

OK, as promised, here's my Top 5 Films of 2008. They've already been posted over on The Mercury's Scene & Heard blog, so I'm posting them here for my readers. Please check out the other posting here http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blogs/pottstown/chrism/2008/12/top-5-movies-we-scene-heard-in-2008.html along with my fellow blogger Chris March's Top 5 Flicks. He's even added trailers for each flick.

I'm not a pro-critic, so don't expect to see all those serious Oscar hopefuls here. I'm just a movie fan like the rest of you. Besides, most of "those" movies just came out this past weekend for the general public.

I've been sidelined over the holiday with that dreaded stomach flu that won't quit, but, hopefully, before the New Year I'll have my Top 5 (maybe 10) TV Shows of 2008, as well as those of the Elfman!

Here goes:

wall-e Pictures, Images and Photos


5. WALL-E: When I first saw the preview for this one, I thought it looked like all those cute, animated kids’ movies and immediately put it in the “rental” category. It wasn’t until it started making all the critics end-of-year lists that I finally sat down, watched it, and totally loved it! The story of a lonely Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class (WALL-E), who’s only friend is a cockroach, left behind to clean up the Earth after the humans packed up and left their wasted planet, is compelling and very well done. Appealing to both children and adults alike.

Cloverfield Pictures, Images and Photos

4. Cloverfield: Yes, I’m prepared to take the heat for this choice. You either love or hate this monster flick from last January. And I loved it! I loved it so much that after watching it for free on the Internet, I actually paid with a bunch of coworkers to see it in the theater. Shot with a hand-held camera, a la Blair Witch Project, this film followed four friends trying to escape New York City after some sort of monster attack. Think 2000’s Godzilla, only much, much better! It was edge-of-your-seat entertainment from beginning to end.

tropic Pictures, Images and Photos

3. Tropic Thunder: In a word, Hilarious! I saw the preview ahead of Iron Man back in May and couldn’t wait for August to arrive so I could see the rest of the film. And it didn’t disappoint. Depicting the behind-the-scenes making of a “true story” of Vietnam soldiers, Tropic Thunder was by far the funniest flick of the year. Any film that puts Robert Downey Jr. in black-face and Tom Cruise in a skull cap and fat suit is OK with me. Not to mention the hilarious fake movie trailers at the beginning … I’m still hoping they make full versions of Satan’s Alley, The Fatties: Fart 2, Scorcher I-VI and, of course, Simple Jack!

iron man Pictures, Images and Photos

2. Iron Man: I had never heard of Tony Stark before seeing this fine flick, but the trailer was enough to hook me. The first bonafide hit of the summer, Iron Man brought back to life the career on one of my all-time fave actors. Robert Downey Jr.’s portrayal of Tony Stark/Iron Man along with Jon Favreau’s directing was enough to rocket this film to the top of the box office in early May. Needlesstosay I was very impressed. I highly recommend it!

dark knight Pictures, Images and Photos

1. The Dark Knight: While this film has made just about every critic’s Best Of list, none of them have the nerve to make it No. 1, opting instead for the obligatory serious films, i.e. Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Torino or The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (all of which, to be fair, I haven’t seen yet). But in the words of this flick’s villain The Joker, I ask, “Why So Serious?” The second of director Chris Nolan’s Batman movies, The Dark Knight was more than just a comic book film. It was easily the most anticipated movie of the year and featured a great story, spot on special effects and some of the best performances of the year. It’s made nearly a billion dollars worldwide and tops the Box Office for 2008, with barely any competition. And, of course, it features what is possibly the best performance of the late Heath Ledger’s career. I would never have thought that anyone could best Jack Nicholson’s Joker in Tim Burton’s Batman, but he more than managed. If you see one film this year, make it The Dark Knight.

speed racer Pictures, Images and Photos

And the Best of the Worst: Speed Racer! I was sooo looking forward to this film, being a huge fan of the popular TV cartoon. And I was sooooo disappointed!! Wachowski Bros, what happened? How could you take such a great premise and turn it into an explosion of purple and pink computer generated effects, ruining my cherished memories of Speed, Trixie, Spridle, Chim Chim and Pops. Not to mention giving Sparky the Queer Eye! Awful, just awful! Be warned …


So, what do you think? Let me know what were your favorites -- or least faves! I'll be waiting to hear from you ...

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Debmun1 said...

I will check out Walle after reading your review. I just thought it looked like a kids' movie. I was psyched to see the Dark Knight, but was so disappointed. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater. I think my favorite of the year was Iron Man. I love the last line!

January 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home