Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Weekend Wrap-up

Sorry to have left you hanging yesterday, but there was sooo much on TV Sunday night that I needed an extra night to catch up!Which, of course, now leaves me behind on Monday night ...Anyway, let's begin with the Amazing Race (Sunday, CBS, 8 p.m.)! God I love this show!

Season 13 contestants
Eleven teams of two, each with preexisting relationship, started the race at the Los Angeles Coliseum for Season 13. First stop was Salvador, Brazil, where the teams had to choose a local vending cart, wheel it thru the narrow streets of Salvador to a popular plaza and deliver the cart to Indio in exchange for their next clue.After an overnight hold, the teams encountered their first Detour, choosing between the Hard Way Up and Soft Way Down. In the first, teams had to climb up a stone staircase on their hands and knees, while the second task revealed teams climbing to the top of a 240-feet building and climbing down a cargo net on the outside!Siblings Nick & Starr came out as Team No. 1, while older, hippy couple Anita & Arthur arrived at the Pit Stop last and were thus eliminated. This season is shaping up to be as controversial as past ones ... with Starr already putting the moves on Dallas (of the mother/son team). And tempers are flaring ... looks like next week will be pretty interesting ...To watch this episode or for a detailed recap, visit http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/
At 9 p.m. Sunday night I couldn't decide whether to watch HBO's vampire drama True Blood or Showtime's season 3 opener for everybody's fave serial killer Dexter. So I pointlessly tried to watch both (you know, just flicking between the two every so many minutes). While I love Dexter, the season opener was just basically set-up, and shortly into it, True Blood captured my full attention with an episode that finally got interesting!This week's ep featured heroine Sookie Stackhouse getting her vampire-love interest to take her to the local vamp bar "Fangtasia" so she could question some fellow bloodsuckers regarding the murder of her coworker. What made this interesting was the we finally got to meet the "leader" of the local vamps, hot, hot, hot Eric!


It was only just a short tease though, but Eric's brief performance was enough to keep me interested and coming back for future eps.
http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/
Back to Dexter - I think my sister (who hasn't watched before, but tuned in just to see Dexter's new boss, played by her fave Jimmy Smits) summed it up best ... "he didn't kill anybody this week. That was disappointing."http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/home.do
Following True Blood at 10 p.m. was another great episode of HBO's current biggest hit Entourage. Poor Johnny Drama, not only is his younger brother the "hot one" and he recently ruined his hot French romance, but now his costars on his first hit in ages made an ass out of him on The View! It was hilarious. Definitely a show worth tuning into. http://www.hbo.com/entourage/


Luckily, Showtime repeated the 10 p.m. season 2 debut of David Duchovny's Californication, so I switched over there at 10:30 p.m. for what was instantly a reminder of why I like this show! When we last saw Hank Moody at the end of the first season, he was driving away from his ex's wedding with their daughter, only to have Karen (his beloved ex) run out and jump in the car too.So Hank and Karen are back together, but things aren't all rosy. The episode started out with Hank getting a vasectomy and then having a hard time abstaining ... you know, till things healed ... it didn't help that during an evening out with his agent Charlie (Evan Handler) and his wife Marcy, they got invited to a sexually loose party in the Hollywood Hills. As usual with Hank, he means well, but things get hilariously out of hand and he ended up in jail by the end and Karen's not willing to bail him out this time ... For more information or to watch this episode, visit http://www.sho.com/site/californication/home.do
Yeah, I also watched Desperate Housewives and wasn't too impressed. But for now I'll stay tuned, mostly because it's all the talk on Mondays around here. At the behest of a coworker, I taped but didn't watch yet, Brothers & Sisters. I know it's a good show, but being that's it's already in the third season, I don't know if I can get into it at this point. Especially with so much else to watch.


And, I'm just about caught up on BBC America's popular new teen drama Skins. This racy British export is the perfect antidote to all the Gossip Girl, new 90210, One Tree Hill, Friday Night Lights dribble on American TV right now. I love it ... of course, you can probably look forward to some Americanized version of this one soon. But I recommend watching the original. Look for more information here http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/328/index.jsp
Still haven't watched Mad Men yet, maybe tonight ... probably not though, because I'm clearing the evening's schedule to watch the DVD of Iron Man. Saw it in the theater and loved it!! And I didn't know anything about iron man going into it. Maybe I'm just really pleased to see Robert Downey Jr. doing something good again!
So I pretty much missed Monday night television. Saw a little of the Lost marathon over on Sci-Fi. And I wouldn't miss The Big Bang Theory - love those guys (CBS 8 p.m.). I'm about done with Dancing with the Stars (taped it but couldn't bring myself to watch it this morning).


Everybody's Favorite Gladiator
However, one bright spot in last night's entertainment came later on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I had put a reminder on the TV that Russell Crowe was going to be on promoting his new Ridley Scott-directed Body of Lies with Leonardo DiCaprio (two of my faves, can't wait for this one!) Interestingly enough, it seems Crowe has a solution to all our financial problems in the US. Since the government wants to "lend" $700 billion to "save" the financial crisis, and there are roughly 300 million American citizens, Crowe's revelation would be to give $1 million to every citizen, allowing them to pay their mortgages and pump money back into the economy. I'm all for it. Shame he can't run for Prez.
On TV tonight: Back for another thrilling episode surely will be Fringe at 9 p.m. on Fox. Dancing with the Stars results show airs at 9 p.m. on ABC.
Over on Bravo at 10 p.m. an all new Rachel Zoe Project airs. I just got into this show over the weekend after a coworker recommended it. I like it! Rachel Zoe is a stylist-to-the-stars and its compelling to watch how her mind/business works. Most of the time, she's running (with her 2 assistants) all over Los Angeles, trying to find the perfect "hero" dress for some celebrity client. For more info visit http://www.bravotv.com/The_Rachel_Zoe_Project/season/1/index.php


And in the trainwreck category, MTV debuts Paris Hilton's New BFF reality competition at 10 p.m. I might actually have to check this one out. I admit, I'm a closet fan of VH1's Flava of Love and Rock of Love. I just can't seem to turn them off - like watching a trainwreck!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home