Monday, September 22, 2008

One Crazy Week

This is the week I lose my mind ... yes, that's right, tonight is the official beginning of TV's New Fall Season. I have so much to watch this week that I had to make a list night-by-night so I wouldn't forget anything. It's this way every year, returning faves and trying to decide which "new" shows are worth investing the time.

This week's tough, but if I can survive it will get better. Especially since a lot of the "new" shows get cancelled only a few weeks in.

But before getting into all that, I can't let last night's Emmy Awards broadcast pass without a few comments. The Emmys, or as I like to call it -- one of the most BORING awards shows on TV -- always kicks off the new TV season -- with a snore. And last night's 3-hour show was no different, in fact, it was the worst in years.

Thank God for British comedian Ricky Gervais! At least he was entertaining! He went off the monitor and did a funny schtick with Steve Carrell over Gervais' Emmy win last year. He wasn't in attendance to accept, so presenter John Stewart gave the award to Carrell, who apparently didn't give it back. So Gervais went into the audience to get it from him in one of the funnier moments of the evening.

The only other highlight for me was Josh Groban's medley of TV theme songs, from The Love Boat to South Park, The Jeffersons to Baywatch, Gilligan's Island to The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and more. He was great! Both moments can be seen in this 3-minute Emmy highlight reel available on youtube. Click here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O94JwhNAO8s

And in case you were curious, AMC's Mad Men made history becoming basic cable's first show to win a best drama award. Too bad season 2 is such a stinker so far...

NBC's 30 Rock scored four trophies, including its second consecutive nod for best comedy series. HBO's Entourage picked up a third consecutive win for Jeremy Piven's Ari Gold for supporting comedy actor. And, as expected, HBO's mini-series John Adams picked up a healthy five trophies.

And, although the five nominees for the first-ever Reality Series Host Emmy stunk at hosting the show, it was great to see Survivor's Jeff Probst win. I mean, afterall, wasn't Survivor the show that started network reality programming. (Yes, I know that MTV's Real World was before Survivor, but I said "Network"!) Congrats Jeff!! By the way, Survivor: Gabon starts this Thursday with a 2-hour premiere beginning at 8p.m. on CBS! YAY!!

Of course, I'm equally happy to see CBS' Amazing Race win its sixth consecutive Emmy for Reality-Competition Program. (AR starts its new season Sunday night at 9 p.m.)
Personally, I'm a little bummed that AR's host Phil Keogan didn't receive a nomination -- he's my favorite!


And, in the most bizarre Emmy nod, given out at the technical Emmys two weeks ago, Pirate Master: Episode 102 won for Original Main Title Theme Music. Who knew? I mean, I'll admit I watched this ridiculous ship-bound reality competition (until it was yanked from the schedule mid-way thru), but I didn't think anybody else did!


On TV tonight: Well, I'll probably be starting out the evening watching the Sci-Fi's four-episode LOST marathon as it continues beginning at 7 p.m. And I'll probably get all caught up in it again, so I'll be running tape on all the other programming. Tonight's line-up of episodes 5-8 include: White Rabbit, House of the Rising Sun, The Moth and Confidence Man.

Over on CBS, the sitcom lineup begins with my new favorite The Big Bang Theory. Leonard and Penny will deal with the aftermath of their first date. If you haven't watched this yet, do! It's very funny!


NBC will be running an entire night of Heroes. Sorry, I couldn't get into this show, which is strange since I like sci-fi. Anyway, from 8-9 there will be a catch-up and behind the scenes of season's past, followed by the 2-hr. premiere at 9 p.m.


Fox continues it's Prison Break at 9 p.m. MTV presents another vapid ep of The Hills at 10 p.m. (Why am I still watching this?) And over on E! you can check out the best and worst dressed at the Emmys on Fashion Police at 8 and 9 p.m. (I guess they think it'll be so good they had to air it back-to-back.) Actually it might be quite entertaining, guest commentator will be Project Runway's favorite pixie Christian Siriano!

And, finally, what kind of TV watcher would I be without mentioning the big premiere of Dancing with the Stars over on ABC at 8 p.m.? Yes, they're back! Bruno Tonioli, Len Goodman and Kari Ann Inaba will be critiquing every step for 2 hours tonight, tomorrow night and another hour on Wednesday night!

Kari Ann, Len and Bruno
Well, I can tell you now that I don't have all that time to put into this show. I love watching the dancing, but the filler drags on forever! Here's my little secret to making this more enjoyable. Tape it!! or DVR!! whichever. I find that I can get thru the entire 2-hr. broadcast in just about 20 minutes just watching the dancing and judges' reviews. It's pretty bad when I'm looking forward more to seeing the professionals than the actual "stars."
For more on the contestants and professional dancers visit the official web site at
http://abc.go.com/primetime/dancingwiththestars/index?pn=index&cid=rm+Fall08+google+Dancing_With_The_Stars

That's all for now, gotta go, lots to watch tonight!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home