Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gran Torino

Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino Pictures, Images and Photos
I had the opportunity to spend a few hours with my Dad this past weekend, and we went to see Clint Eastwood's latest, Gran Torino. And can I just say that at 78 years of age, Clint is still one of the most intimidating people on the planet.

In the film, which he also directed, Clint plays Walt Kowalski, a senior citizen version of Harry Callahan, if you will. And Clint plays him to the hilt, just the way we love him -- you can almost hear the words "Go ahead, make my day" in several scenes as the flick plays out.

It starts off with the funeral of Walt's wife, followed by a reception at his home, where Walt makes it clear that he's displeased with his disrespectful sons and their families, and his neighborhood, which has been overrun with Asian people. We learn very early that Walt is a Korean War veteran.

When his neighbor Thao, a young Hmong teenager under pressure from his gangmember cousin, tries to steal his prized possession, a 1972 Gran Torino, Walt sets out to reform the youth. He's drawn against his will into the life of Thao's family and is soon taking steps to protect them from the gangs that infest their neighborhood.

It is an excellent film and I highly recommend it. It has just the right blend of drama, humor, a little suspense and sadness. It's Clint at his best and, unlike a lot of his other recent films, it's not too long!

And call me a softie, but it just melts my heart when, out of the corner of my eye, I see my ex-Marine father discreetly wipe a tear from his eye ...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home